Betty Anne and I, our twin boys, Gareth and James, and our oldest son Phillip moved from Yellowknife to New Minas some 14 years ago. Our decision was based on research that told us that this was one to the top ten best places to live in Eastern Canada.The past 14 years have proven this out. We fully enjoy our new home community and have become immersed in life in Kings County, including many volunteer activities, Lay Pastor of Community Care and serving as your councillor for the past eight years.
I suspect that most people who know me well would suggest that I have a servant heart. Since moving to the Valley in 2006 I have served as:
- Municipal Councillor for the past eight years (Committees served on include Budget and Finance(chair), Audit Committee, Nomination Committee(chair), Police Services Advisory Committee, Regional Sewer Committee(chair), Asset management Committee, Diversity Kings Committee(chair), Valley Community Fiber Network, Planning Advisory Committee, New Minas Area Advisory Committee)
- Board Member on the Audit Committee for the Federation of Nova Scotia Municipalities
- Rotarian as a member of the New Minas Sunrise Rotary Club (recipient of the Paul Harris award for Community Service)
- Board member for Ourhouse: a local organization dedicated to the rehabilitation of women from addictions
- Citizen member of the Kings County Trails Committee where I played a key role in developing a “Vision and Strategy for Trails for Kings County”;
- Canaan Heights Neighbourhood Association as founding President and as Chair of the Park Development Committee
- Director on the Fundy Food Bank Board and as a volunteer at the Food Bank; and
- Completed eleven courses towards a Masters of Divinity degree;
- Lay Pastor, Community Care, at my church.
My first four years on Council were challenging but rewarding in that we were able to make structural governance changes that made the past four years productive and exciting. But there is much more to do and I am equipped and ready for the challenging times ahead particularly as we govern through and set up for post COVID 19 recovery and prosperity.
I am a Certified Management Accountant(Now Certified Public Accountant) by trade. My 30-year professional career included both accounting and general management positions at senior levels within the Government of the Northwest Territories. Over my career, I have demonstrated skills and abilities in change management, strategy development, business planning and organization, interpersonal communication, partnership/relationship building, financial and management accounting, team building and client services. My credentials are suitable for both the challenges and the opportunities before us.
Accomplishments that demonstrate my skills and abilities include:
- Effectively and honestly served as a Councillor for Kings County for the past eight years
- Successfully pushed for the development of a strategic plan for the County
- Successful in getting significant road development for District 8 including the construction of the Granite Drive Connector, the paving of Commercial Street, and the paving of many local roads, with approximately 30 more roads to be paved in District 8 this fall.
- Successfully pushed for the inclusion of the New Minas expansion area south of Hwy 101 to be included in the Growth Center and the development of a comprehensive Secondary Planning Strategy for the Village
- Effectively pushed for County governance changes that saw us move from a “Warden” system of government to an “elected Mayor” system and the reduction of two councillors
- Building the organization, policies and operational framework for, and successfully running, 52 public airports
- Developing the Financial Administration Act for a government and its public agencies
- Restructuring a government department into two new departments: one with an environmental mandate and one with an economic development mandate
- Building and administering the Corporate Services Division for a newly created Department of Transportation
- Developing the mission, vision, core values, strategic goals and the accountability framework for a new Industry, Tourism and Investment department
Betty Anne and I have been married for 30-years. Betty Anne operates a bookkeeping business from our home. She has volunteered at the Fundy Food Bank in the past, volunteers at her church regularly, and quilts in her spare time. Together we enjoy biking, hiking, walking or snowshoeing on the County’s trails and spending time at our cottage which we co-own with our sons on Liscombe Harbour, Guysborough County.
Our twin boys, James and Gareth, completed their high school at Horton and graduated with a business degree from Saint Francis Xavier University. Gareth is a Chartered Professional Accountant in the Strategy and Transaction group of Ernst & Young in Halifax and he is also working towards his Chartered Business Valuator designation. James works in the hedge fund administration field, and is currently on the Operational Risk team at MUFG Investor Services..
Our oldest son Phillip relocated to New Minas in November 2013 after working for 13 years in parts with an airline in Yellowknife. He now works in parts with Canadian Tire in New Minas.
- Board Member, NWT Family Counseling;
- Victims of Crime Counselor;
- Board Member, Yellowknife Association for Concerned Citizens for Seniors;
- Salvation Army volunteer; and
- Leader in our church.
See Jim’s Resume HERE
He has showed you, O man what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6: 8 (NIV)